Thursday, March 19, 2009

Some ideas for the spread

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if Ellen started designing the typographic layout for the spreads since she had a deadline on Wednesday for her class, and if you have some ideas or digital sketches, please post them on the blog. I have some ideas for the spreads so check it out and leave some feedback.

1. I was inspired by the book "Essays in Love" by Alain de Botton, which includes diagrams and little images that correspond to the text. I find a lot of interesting details of the things that the writer lists as Colin's favourite things, his world views, the description of the characters on Street fighter, etc. I think it would be fun to have these list of things illustrated in a rough and childlike manner - maybe line drawing - with some hand writing on a page next to the text, or it could be incorporated into the text. I think having funny diagrams or images that illustrate these details in a childlike manner would fit with the humorous tone of the text.

2. Another idea is to stick to photographs, and I almost see a "Napoleon Dynamite" kind of look
using real things to spell out words or just the mood of it. I was thinking maybe to use images of objects that symbolize the idea that is expressed in each paragrphs without showing an image of a boy or a person. For example, Colin's favorite baseball cap, advertising posters with cowboys, a condom, cowboy hat, etc.

And for the cover, it would follow the style of the content.

I was wondering if Ellen has suggestions for the choice of type we should use so please let us know.

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment